Saturday, January 14, 2012

Macaroni and Cheese, Panera Style


I can't believe it has been over two years since I started this blog!  I have been an undedicated blogger to say the least.  Hopefully with the start of the new year, I will find a renewed dedication to this blog and actually get some followers.



Some of you who know me, know that the title of this blog pretty much sums it about.  I love food, I love to find great recipes.  Sometimes I follow them to the letter because I figure, why mess up a good thing? Others, I recreate, doctor them up, make them my own.  I also love to come up with my own concoctions.  Most of the things I cook are healthy, some not so healthy.  Hey, a girl needs to indulge every once in a while, right?

So at the restart of this blog, I am sharing a recreation of the hugely decadent macaroni and cheese that my boys love from Panera.  Here is the link to Panera’s website for their recipe.  I made this to take to a big family dinner with my dad’s extended family.  If I was making this at home I would definitely cut it in half.  The original recipe said it served 4-6, so I doubled it and state at that bottom of the recipe that it serves 8-12, but I filled a 9x13 tray and was able to serve it as a side on the buffet table to a huge crowd of about 40 people.  I changed it up a little to cater to my own tastes, and I had to improvise a little because I ran out of milk this morning and made the mac and cheese before heading to the store. 

I am a firm believer in a well-stocked pantry.  It has gotten me out of more cooking jams and ingredient faux pas then I can count and today was no exception.  So, while the recipe says 4 cups half and half, I used a 15 oz. can of evaporated fat free milk because I didn’t have enough half and half.  Basically, when making a white sauce, the higher the fat content in the milk, the creamier it is going to be, but when using that much butter and half and half, the evaporated milk was still thick enough to keep it creamy.  Believe me, the substitution wasn't used as a way to lower the fat content of the recipe.  I look for ways to make a recipe healthy but for something that is being served as part of a (belated) holiday party, and it’s macaroni and cheese with all its cheesy goodness, I let the fat stay right where it is.  Everything in moderation…

If this is the first time you have made a white sauce, a couple of pointers.  When adding the flour to the butter to make the roux, don’t panic when it forms a big mass.  Once you incorporate the milk it will dissolve.  The trick that works for me is to remove the pot from the heat and SLOWLY whisk in the milk.  And a whisk is key; it will break apart the roux and help it dissolve into the milk.  Once I have added the milk and began to whisk it into the roux, I return it back to the burner and stir constantly to prevent sticking.  Once it gets good and thick and begins to bubble, I turn off the burner and stir in the cheese.  Once the cheese is melted I add the pasta.  I then transferred to a 9x13 baking dish to transfer it to the party, but it is ready at this point and could just be served from the pot.  I think another easy way to transport, and serve this would be a crock pot.  Wish I would of thought of that earlier!  

Macaroni and Cheese, Panera Style
Ingredients
2 (16-ounce) package of medium pasta shells
½ cup butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups half and half
1 cup chicken broth
5 oz shredded swiss cheese
3 oz cream cheese cut into pieces
8 oz shredded extra-sharp white Vermont cheddar
2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
2.Melt butter over low heat. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute, whisking constantly.
3.Gradually whisk in half and half and chicken broth; cook over medium heat, whisking until mixture thickens and bubbles. Remove from heat.
4.Add cheeses, mustard, and salt, stirring until cheese melts and sauce is smooth.
5.Stir in pasta and cook over medium heat for 1 minute (or until thoroughly heated).

Serves 8 to 12

No comments:

Post a Comment